One person dead in Roseburg house fire Monday morning
ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A house fire in Roseburg Monday morning claimed one person's life, officials report.
At 6:09 a.m. Monday, Douglas County Fire District No. 2 firefighters responded to a house fire on Happy Valley Road in Roseburg.
Crews arrived on scene at 6:13 a.m. and found heavy black smoke coming from the back of the home.
The first arriving crew was told there was an occupant still inside, so they immediately concentrated their initial efforts on searching the home.
During their primary search, they found the fire was concentrated to the back room of the home and were able to extinguish it with a minimal amount of water.
One occupant and a pet were able to exit the structure with the aid of a neighbor.
It was later confirmed by firefighters that one person, 66-year-old Georgia Fullerton, was located deceased in the residence, Douglas County Sheriff's Office said. Her husband, 79-year-old Jerry Fullerton, was able to exit the residence safely.
The Douglas County Medical Examiner's Office is working in conjunction with firefighters and fire investigators. At this time, nothing appears to be suspicious, the sheriff's office said.
"A combined investigation from Douglas County Fire District No. 2 and the Oregon State Police determined that the fire was caused from cigarette smoking in bed," DCFD2 said in an earlier news release.
DCFD2 responded to this incident with 2 fire engines and 2 command units. They were assisted by Winston-Dillard Fire District, Calapooia Rural Fire District, Pacific Power and Light, Avista Natural Gas and Bay Cities Ambulance.