One dead, two missing following tragic day on local rivers

PORTLAND, Ore. - It was a deadly Sunday in the water.

One man is confirmed dead, and rescue crews resumed their searches for a missing young boy and another missing man on Monday.

In Troutdale, crews spent most of Monday searching for 7-year-old Asekur Rahman, who went under water in the Sandy River at Glenn Otto Park while playing with his 9-year-old brother Sunday evening at about 5 p.m.

Crews searched with kayaks, divers and from the air but were unable to find him.

By the end of the day, officials said they were scaling back search efforts and only a handful of searchers will scour the banks until dusk.

The two boys were being watched by their 18-year-old brother.

Lifeguards were able to pull the older boy from the water, but Asekur Rahman disappeared. The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office dive team and the Portland Fire dive team searched until dark Sunday.

The boy's father, Khoshhal Jamal, said his family and friends had gathered in the park for a BBQ.

"My wife is coming up, she's crying, she says my son is lost," he said. "I said why's he lost, he's not swimming?"

Jamal, who is from Afghanistan, said it was the first time his wife, who is from Myanmar, and sons had been to the river and the first time his son had been swimming.

"Yesterday was hard," he said. "I live in a two-bedroom apartment, and I took my family in the park. And it happened like that.

"He was a nice guy, a nice boy."

Neither of the boys was wearing the free life jackets provided at the park. Jamal said he'd told the boys to wear life jackets, but somewhere in the midst of the heat and revelry, they failed to do so.

An Oregon Army National Guard Black Hawk helicopter joined the search for the boy on Monday morning.

Meanwhile, Salem's Andrew Moats, 19, was on the Molalla River when his inner tube became pinned against a tree and some rocks and he fell in the water.

Despite the efforts of two friends and rescue workers, he was pronounced dead at the scene. It took workers nearly an hour to locate Moats, who was not wearing a personal flotation device. The two men with him were treated for minor injuries.

Finally, in the Willamette River, 20-year-old Anthony Jimenez of McMinnville was attempting to cross the river in Dayton with two friends when he disappeared. One of the friends, 22-year-old Kevin Judson of Dayton, struggled to make it across as well. By the time friends were able to get Judson to shore, Jiminez had disappeared.

The Yamhill County Sheriff's Office sent two boats and a plane to aid the search, which was also conducted by Newberg Dive Rescue and the Dayton Fire Department, but to no avail. The search resumed at 9:30 a.m. Monday. A helicopter and search plane flew over the river, but there was no sign of a body.

Search boats from Yamhill and Polk Counties were also in the water looking for Jimenez.