Wife thwarts silent killer: 'She found me. She saved my life'
EUGENE, Ore. - Paul Trosper fired up the wood stove in his Corvallis garage Monday at he set about fixing a gasoline-powered generator.
"I noticed a hole in the stove pipe," he recalled from his bed in a hospital ICU Tuesday. "I guess I just wasn't thinking."
His wife Violet found him unconscious, the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"His eyes were slanted back in his head," she said from her husband's bedside. "It looked like he was close to dying is what it looked like."
Paul is recovering in the intensive care unit at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield after a harrowing encounter with the silent killer: carbon monoxide.
"It has no sight. You can't smell it, you can't taste it, you can't feel it," said Dr. Brenda Ormesher. "You don't even know you're exposed to it until it's too late."
Paul said he was in his garage fixing his generator Monday when he fired up his wood stove to warm up.
He got the generator going, but the combined gases from the stove and the gas took a toll: He lost consciousness.
His wife found him in time.
"She found me," Paul said, tears welling up in his eyes. "Saved my life."
"Yeah, well, I wouldn't have it any other way," Violet replied.
For Paul and Violet, it means a 63rd Christmas together that they'll never forget.
"I love her," he said. "I thank her."