Teen cuffed at candy shop: 'They acted like I was a terrorist'

UPDATE: After initially declining to be interviewed on Sunday, the owner of Goody's Chocolates shared the shop's side of the story on Monday.

EUGENE, Ore. - Harmony Bray said she told her boss at Goody's sweet shop that the register totals didn't add up at closing. Shortly after calling the manager, the 16-year-old said a police officer had her in handcuffs.

"I'm a 16-year-old girl working in a candy shop, and they acted like I was a terrorist with a bomb strapped to me," Harmony told KVAL News.

She said she doesn't know how a few $20 bills went missing from the register after her busy day serving up sweets at Goody's in Eugene's 5th Street Public Market.

Saturday was Harmony's first night closing up the shop. While going through the closing procedures, Bray said she noticed money was missing from the till.

"I started freaking out. I counted over and over, you know, and it was missing," she said..

After informing her boss, Harmony said that both her parents and Eugene police came to the store. She said that's when things started to escalate.

"When the officer first came into the room before he even said anything he grabbed my arms, handcuffed me and told me I was under arrest," Harmony said. "I was crying because I was terrified."

Harmony's father, Winterlight Bray, said he was appalled with how police handled the situation.

"The way he touched my daughter if he was a civilian I would have filed assault charges," Bray said.

Harmony said the officers never gave a reason for why they put her in handcuffs. She has some bruising and said she is shaken up about the incident.

Police officials said that the responding officers acted appropriately based on the information that they were given by the store manager.

Lt. Scott Feldman with the Eugene Police Department said the real problem was a miscommunication between the manager and police. He declined to go on camera or talk more about the case because the family had threatened to file a formal complaint about how the officer handled the situation.

Police released Harmony without pressing charges.

"The strange thing is, there are no security cameras and the register doesn't even have a lock. You just press a button and it flips open," Harmony said.

Police officials said they are looking for a suspect Harmony identified in the store Saturday. They believe it is the same person who has caused trouble for several other businesses in the area.

Harmony's father and step-mother both filed complaints against the officers that responded to the incident.

"I only want police in this instance to get some training and that other young women are not put in this ordeal that my daughter was," Bray said.