Puyallup police: Man shoots sleeping son, daughter in the head

PUYALLUP, Wash. - A brother and sister in their 40s were shot in the head as they slept early Sunday, and their own father called 911 and claimed responsibility for the shootings.

The woman died of her injuries within hours of the shooting, but her brother is still clinging to life.

Officers responded to the scene, a home in the 1500 block of 5th Street SE, at about 3:30 a.m. after receiving the 911 call from the father. He told dispatchers he had just shot his adult son and daughter, said Deputy Chief Dave McDonald of the Puyallup police.

Police surrounded the home as 911 dispatchers talked the 69-year-old man out of shooting himself and convinced him to put his gun down and surrender to officers. Moments later, Puyallup police took the man into custody in front of the home.

He was identified by family members as Michael League, 69.

Officers entered the home and found two gravely injured shooting victims in different rooms of the house, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both had suffered gunshots to the head and appear to have been shot in their sleep, McDonald said.

The victims were taken by Central Pierce Fire & Rescue medics to Tacoma General Hospital, where the woman later died of her injuries. The male victim remains in grave condition on life support.

The two victims were identified by family members as Dennis League, 46, and Danielle Faucett, 43.

Also found in the home were two boys, ages 6 and 7, as well as Michael League's wife. The children and the wife were unhurt. All three were taken from the home.

Police later said that Dennis League is the father of the two boys, and the suspect, Michael League, is the boys' grandfather. The children had been living at the home with their dad and grandparents.

Michael League was placed under arrest and booked into the Pierce County jail for investigation of first-degree murder and first-degree attempted murder.

McDonald said the motive for the shooting remains under investigation.

"It appears that there's a long history of domestic and family issues at this household, and this may have been the unfortunate culmination of that history," he said.

McDonald said Michael League was the only one to call 911 and report the shootings.

"We didn't get any other calls. And as far as we know, no one woke up, no one heard anything - not even the other people in the house that were unharmed," he said.

The Puyallup Police Department Major Crimes Unit is investigating the shooting.