Police: Woman grabbed near UO campus
EUGENE, Ore. -- A University of Oregon student reported being grabbed by a man outside of her apartment early Saturday morning, Eugene Police officials said.
The woman said that she was approaching her apartment complex at 19th ave. and Harris St. at around 2 a.m. when a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt ran forward, grabbed her and tried to grope her.
She told police that the man fled south on Harris street when she started yelling for help.
The woman described her attacker as as white, about 5'5" and chubby, wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and drawn around his face, and tan Bermuda-style shorts.
Police ask anyone with information to call either the Eugene Police at 541-682-5111 or UOPD at 541-346-2919.
CAMPUS SAFETY TIPS FROM UOPD
- No action or inaction by a crime survivor makes that person responsible for his or her victimization. Perpetrators are responsible for crimes and their effects. The following suggestions may help reduce the possibility of experiencing a crime, or may improve opportunities to receive prompt assistance.
- It is a crime to intentionally touch someone against his or her will, regardless of the situation.
- Encourage friends to travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- Use UO Safe Ride (541-346-RIDE ext. 2), call a taxicab, or contact UOPD for an on-campus escort (541-346-2919).
- If you feel you or others are in danger, call 9-1-1.
- To report suspicious, illegal or unusual activity on campus, call UOPD at 541-346-2919. For emergencies or if you see a crime being committed, call 9-1-1.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR SURVIVORS OF CRIME
- For students, a range of support services are available through the Office of the Dean of Students, 541-346-3216; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For students, personal counseling and other support services are available through the University Counseling and Testing Center, 541-346-3227 (available 24 hours); counseling.uoregon.edu/dnn.
- For students, medical and sexual assault examination services are available at University Health Center, 541-346-2770; healthcenter.uoregon.edu.
- For employees, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, 541-346-3123, and Office of Human Resources, 541-346-3159, can assist in connecting to resources.
- Other community resources available are Sexual Assault Support Services (SASS), 541-343-7277 (24 hour crisis line) or 541-484-9791, Womenspace, 541-485-8232 or 541-485-6513 (24 hour crisis line), and White Bird Clinic Counseling, 541-342-8255 541-687-4000 (24 hour crisis line).