Police: Student killed, teacher injured, shooter dead at Reynolds HS in Troutdale

TROUTDALE, Ore. - Police say a lone teen shooter armed with a rifle opened fire at Reynolds High School on Tuesday morning, killing one student and injuring a teacher.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said the shooter is also dead. While the situation has stabilized, an investigation is ongoing. Troutdale police told the Associated Press the shooter likely committed suicide.

The student killed in Tuesday morning's shooting at Reynolds High School is freshman 14-year-old Emilio Hoffman, police said.

He was found in the locker room.

Police said they found the male suspect slumped on a toilet in a bathroom but couldn't see what was happening with him. Police spokesman Sgt. Carey Kaer said police used a robot with a camera to investigate and discovered the suspect was dead and that he likely killed himself.

But Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson emphasized during an early evening news conference that it has not been confirmed how the shooter died. He said investigators are waiting for information from the medical examiner's office before they can confirm the cause of death.

Multiple students told KATU that physical education teacher Todd Rispler, 50, was grazed by a bullet, but was still able to walk.

"Today is a very tragic day for the city of Troutdale and the Reynolds School District," said Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson. "The student has died. I'm very, very sorry for the family."

As the afternoon wore on and news broke of Hoffman's death, students took to social media to mourn the loss.

Anderson said two on-campus police officers were the first to respond to reports of a shooting. The officers and a tactical team sent to the school "brought this to a conclusion," Anderson said, without elaborating.

Authorities have tentatively identified the gunman, whose name was being withheld until the family was notified, police Chief Scott Anderson said.

Police confirmed there was only one shooter, contrary to earlier reports that there were more. During the school evacuation, police found a gun while searching another person, and took that individual into custody.

Police said that person was not involved in the shooting.

Police from multiple agencies responded to a report of an active shooter at Reynolds High School just after 8 a.m. A SWAT team and FBI agents also arrived at the school.

A LifeFlight helicopter landed at the school and a large number of police officers surrounded the building with guns drawn. LifeFlight dispatchers said the helicopter did not take anyone to a hospital and was cleared to leave.

At 9:15 a.m., the sheriff's office said the situation had stabilized and the shooter was dead. Tactical teams were evacuating students and staff.

Large groups of students were ushered out of the school with their hands behind their heads.

Freshman Morgan Rose, 15, said she hunkered down in a locker room with another student and two teachers.

"It was scary in the moment," she said. "Now, knowing everything's OK, I'm better."

Freshman Daniel DeLong, 15, said after the shooting he saw a physical education teacher at the school with a bloodied shirt.

Wednesday is the last day of school at Reynolds High School.

"There are no words to fully express our sorrow over the shooting at Reynolds High School," Portland Mayor Charlie Hales said in a statement. "We want the students, the parents and the educators - in fact, the whole community - to know that they are in our hearts and our prayers today."

"There will be several days of healing given to the students and staff and anyone impacted by this tragedy," Anderson said.

Troutdale Mayor Doug Daoust said his heart goes out to the families affected by the shooting. He praised the response by police.

"I am very impressed with how the police handled this whole operation," Daoust said.

Police went through a "dry run" a few months ago to practice responding to an active shooter, said Daoust.

Troutdale police set up a tip line. They're asking anyone with information about the shooting to call 503-250-7943.

The Oregon violence came less than a week after a gunman opened fire on a college campus in neighboring Washington state, killing a 19-year-old man and wounding two others. It follows a string of mass shootings that have disturbed the nation, including one on Sunday in Nevada that left two Las Vegas police officers and a civilian dead.

The Tuesday shooting was the first fatal school shooting in Oregon since May 1998 when 15-yeatr-old Kip Kinkel killed two students and wounded 25 others at Thurston High School in Springfield near Eugene. He killed his parents prior to the attack and is serving a 111-year prison sentence.

Parents reunited with students

Parents were asked to reunite with their students at the Wood Village Fred Meyer, located at N.E. 223rd and N.E. Glisan Street.

A large crowd of parents waited for students to arrive on TriMet buses. The process took several hours. Officers announced names of students and their parents came forward to meet them.

Students whose parents could not pick them up were taken home by district officials.

Vigil planned for victims

A prayer vigil for the shooting victims is planned for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday night at the Greater Portland Baptist Church, located at 17800 SE Main Street in Portland.

More resources for those affected

Crisis counselors will be available at Mount Hood Community College for anyone who needs to talk with someone about the shooting. They will be in the gym, located at 26000 SE Stark Street, from 1-9 p.m. on Tuesday, and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

Anyone who needs to talk to someone about the shooting may also call Multnomah County crisis help line at (503) 988-4888.

Anyone who has information about the shooting can call the Troutdale police tip line: 503-250-7943.

To contact students call the Reynolds School District at 503-661-7200.

"Talking to Children about Traumatic Events" (pdf) - From the Tigard-Tualatin School District.

Video: Third media briefing at 5 p.m.

Video: Second media briefing at about 12:15 p.m.

Video: First media briefing at about 10 a.m.