Oregon sheriff's deputy saves life of woman choking on potato chip
SALEM, Ore. - A Marion County deputy saved a woman's life, after she began to choke on a potato chip at a Salem deli in December.
Angelica Sandoval, an employee at DeDe's Deli in Salem, was in her office working when she heard a deputy asking for video footage from their parking lot.
Deputy Gregg Ramseyer was in the store investigating a hit and run crash and believed the restaurant's video surveillance may have captured the incident.
Before Ms. Sandoval could help she began choking on a potato chip and could no longer breathe.
Another employee, Cassie Sarff, recognized Sandoval was choking so she attempted the Heimlich Maneuver and swept her mouth using her finger.
Deputy Ramseyer radioed for paramedics and came to the aide of Sandoval.
Ramseyer recognized Sandoval was not improving and now turning blue, so he took over for Sarff and performed several cycles of the maneuver clearing the obstruction which allowed Sandoval to breathe normally.