Officers make 19 DUII arrests around Lane County overnight
EUGENE, Ore. -- Police arrested 19 drunk drivers Friday night in a multi-agency effort to crack down on driving under the influence around around Lane County.
Officers also reported issuing 28 citations and over 100 warnings between Friday night and early Saturday morning.
Of the 19 DUII arrests made last night, 13 were attributed to the drunk driving patrols:
- Oregon State Police - 6 DUII arrests (all associated with the multi-agency effort)
- Eugene Police Department - 5 DUII arrests (2 associated)
- Springfield Police Department - 5 DUII arrests (3 associated)
- Junction City Police Department - 2 DUII arrests (1 associated)
- Lane County Sheriff's Office - 1 DUII arrest (1 associated)
State trooper Evan Sether said that teamwork was key to pulling off what the police agencies considered a successful unified enforcement effort.
"Most importantly, none of the participating agencies reported a fatal or injury collision involving an impaired driver, and we hope our pre-announcement backed by the highly visibility enforcement effort deterred many people from making the dangerous decision to drive impaired," said Sether.
Officials said they see this type of enforcement as being effective around the holidays and special events held in the Lane County area.
They also urge people to use taxis, safe-ride services, public transportation or designated drivers when drinking to get around safely.