NEWPORT, Ore. (AP) A man who tried to light a cigarette while pumping gasoline in Newport was seriously burned when the vapor ignited.
Firefighters said they used a dry chemical to put out the fire Monday after a passer-by called for help.
Rob Murphy, assistant chief and fire marshal, said the man was fueling a pickup truck at a station where companies pay to be allowed self-service. Customers at retail stations aren't allowed to pump their own in Oregon.
Murphy says the burns weren't life-threatening. But he says the man was sent to a burn center and probably faces a lengthy recovery.
The firefighter says the station had no-smoking signs, and he says it's common sense not to light up when you're around flammable liquids but sometimes common sense gets ignored.