MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Man fought dishwasher fire 'with just the hose sprayer from the kitchen faucet'

Firefighters said the fire started in the dishwasher of the home on Willa Street, west of River Road. (SBG)

EUGENE, Ore. - A dishwasher caught fire in a North Eugene apartment Friday morning, Eugene Springfield Fire said.

The fire displaced 2 people and their 4 pets, the Red Cross said.

Firefighters said the fire started in the dishwasher of the home on Willa Street, west of River Road.

The resident awoke either to the sound of the smoke alarm or the smell of smoke around 8:30 a.m.

"He tried to put it out himself with just the hose sprayer from the kitchen faucet and that didn't work, so then he came outside," Captain Rod Cullen with Eugene Springfield Fire said. "He alerted his next door neighbors that the house was catching on fire so that they could get out, and then he went and broke the window and grabbed the yard hose and tried to put it out himself from outside."

Firefighters arrived and knocked down the blaze.

"I think he did everything that he could possible have done," Cullen said. "Just some reminders to other residents is to have working smoke detectors because they actually do save lives. And it's always good to have a fire extinguisher."

The Red Cross provided aid to the residents.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending