BOISE, Idaho -- Boise-based food processor B and D Foods is conducting a voluntary recall on all of its pre-cooked frozen meat products made in early December because of possible bacterial contamination.
The recall is for all chicken, beef and pork products produced on Dec. 6 due to potential contamination of Listeria monocytogenes, often linked to undercooked foods.
B and D Foods specifically issued a recall on their boxes of Royal Tempura Chicken, Blings! Chicken Breast with Parmesan Flavoring, Steakhouse Tempura Seasoned Beef, Kettle Cooked Chicken and Fully Cooked Pork Strips. (Detailed list below)
While the meats are not sold in grocery stores, B and D said that the listed products were sold to restaurants and airlines in Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Montana, California and Ohio.
On Dec. 6, workers conducted a routine microbiological sampling of the 33,500 pounds of meat included in those products. Initially the test came back negative for Listeria monocytogenes.
One of B and D's clients also conducted a test, which came back positive for the bacteria in the "Kettle Cooked Chicken Breast Pieces".
D and B Foods sent some of their additional samples of that batch of chicken for further processing to an outside lab, where one of eight test samples came back positive for Listeria monocytogenes.
D and B Foods reported that they immediately contacted the USDA and all the distributors that purchased the affected meats made on Dec. 6.
Tim Andersen, president of D and B Foods, said that the company has a zero tolerance policy for listeria in its food, and will continue its intense testing process.
"Quality assurance and safety tests are taken daily and analyzed by an independent laboratory. B and D Foods is taking these precautionary recall measures to assure that products are healthy and safe for our customers and consumers," Andersen said.
None of the 850 pounds of new chicken product was released for public consumption. However, to be proactive and ensure the safety of its product and consumers, B and D Foods has identified all products that were manufactured on Dec. 6 that could have been cross contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and asked its clients to return all products manufactured on that specific date.
This is an isolated incident. B and D Foods has never had a recall in its 30 year history. The family owned company has strict internal standards, policies and procedures, as well as complies with all USDA guidelines and standards. B and D Foods takes this issue very seriously and it will be working with the USDA and its clients to resolve this issue as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
Products subject to the recall include:
- 10-lb. boxes, containing 2, 5-lb bags of "ROYAL "THE TEMPURA KING" ROYAL TEMPURA CHICKEN, Fully Cooked Tempura Chicken Breast," bearing an identifying code of "A-4615." This product was distributed to food service and/or institutional customers in California, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
- 10-lb. boxes, containing 2, 5-lb bags of "BLINGS! CHICKEN BREAST WITH PARMESAN FLAVORING," bearing an identifying code of "A-4844." This product was distributed to foodservice and/or institutional customers in Idaho and Montana.
- 10-lb. boxes, containing 2, 5-lb bags of "STEAKHOUSE TEMPURA SEASONED BEEF & BINDER STRIPS," bearing an identifying code of "A-1070-10." This product was distributed to foodservice and/or institutional customers in Idaho and Montana.
- 30-lb. boxes of "KETTLE COOKED CHICKEN BREAST PIECES," bearing an identifying code of "A-3900." This product was distributed to an industrial customer in Ohio.
- 30-lb. boxes of "FULLY COOKED PORK STRIPS," bearing an identifying code of "A-3025-30." This product was distributed to an industrial customer in Arizona and California.