'Double Hat Bandit': Man accused of robbing several banks arrested in Indiana
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana -- A man accused of robbing several banks, including one in Eugene, has been arrested.
On Thursday, September 21, the Indianapolis FBI Violent Crimes Task Force, along with the Whiteland Police Department, arrested Shayne Carson, 54, believed to be the "Double Hat Bandit."
He was arrested without incident in the parking lot of a motel in Whiteland, Indiana.
Carson has been charged in a criminal complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Salt Lake City with the December 19, 2016, armed robbery of the U.S. Bank in West Valley City, Utah. According to the complaint, he is also a suspect in 13 other bank robberies throughout Utah, Washington, Oregon, Colorado and Idaho from December 19, 2016 to July 22, 2017.
In these cases, the robber wore two hats. Since then, Carson has also been identified as a suspect in additional bank robberies in Colorado, Iowa and Ohio. Those cases remain under investigation.
The Oregon robberies included one each in Milwaukie, Portland and Eugene.
Friday morning, Carson had his initial appearance and arraignment on the criminal complaint before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. It is anticipated he will be transferred to Utah to face the bank robbery charge filed in Salt Lake City, authorities said.
"The FBI would like to thank our law enforcement partners in Utah, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Iowa and Ohio who worked this case," the FBI said.
The Indianapolis FBI Violent Crime Task Force includes members from the FBI, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Carmel Police Department and Fishers Police Department.
"A complaint is only an accusation, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty," the FBI said in the news release.
Below is a detailed list of the robberies previously reported in the investigation:
- December 19, 2016 - U.S. Bank, 4065 South Redwood Road in West Valley City, Utah
- December 27, 2016 – U.S. Bank, 7061 South Redwood Road in West Jordan, Utah
- December 27, 2016 – U.S. Bank, 4080 West 9000 South in West Jordan, Utah
- January 3, 2017 – Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, 933 East Mission Avenue in Spokane, Washington
- January 3, 2017 - Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, 2507 West Wellesley Avenue in Spokane, Washington
- January 19, 2017 – U.S. Bank, 4320 King Road in Milwaukie, Oregon
- January 23, 2017 – Wells Fargo, 4515 Southeast Woodstock Boulevard in Portland, Oregon
- January 24, 2017 – U.S. Bank, 1675 West 18th Avenue in Eugene, Oregon
- June 21, 2017 – U.S. Bank, 922 East 2100 South in Salt Lake City, Utah
- June 23, 2017 – Wells Fargo, 4515 Southeast Woodstock Boulevard in Portland, Oregon
- June 27, 2017 – Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, 2507 West Wellesley Avenue in Spokane, Washington
- July 10, 2017 – First Bank, 2660 Federal Boulevard in Denver, Colorado
- July 22, 2017 – U.S. Bank, 7100 West State Street in Boise, Idaho