Special Advertiser Content
Food drive #LiveOnKVAL 5 am to 6:30 pm Thursday at Bi-Mart at 18th/Chambers
We'll be #LiveOnKVAL from 5 a.m. to 6: 30 p.m. from the donation station at the Bi-Mart store at 18th and Chambers in Eugene.
Donations benefit Food for Lane County.
FOUR WAYS TO DONATE
1. Donation online: You can make a cash donation online via the Food for Lane County website. Please make a note that you are giving as part of the Take a Bite Out of Hunger food drive.
For every $1 donated, Food for Lane County can provide 3 meals.
2. Text KVAL to 41444
3. Join KVAL News staff on location at Bi-Mart at Chambers and 18th all day Thursday, November 2.
Food Insecurity in Lane County
The need in Lane County and Oregon is critical.
The Oregon Center for Public Policy recently compiled data from the USDA last year.
The report compared data from 2010 to 2012 with data from 2013 to 2015, the most recent data available from the USDA, to come to the following conclusions.
- Nearly 1 in 6 Oregon households go hungry or experience food insecurity (which is roughly the entire population of Portland)
- Oregon's 18.4% increase in food insecurity was the highest in the nation, as more than 30 states saw a decrease
- With a 13.8% rise in household hunger, Oregon is now the 8th worst state in that category
- There are more children in Oregon dealing with food insecurity than the entire population of Eugene
Nationally, Oregon is moving rapidly in the opposite direction of the overall trend. On average, U.S. households saw a 6.8 percent decrease in food insecurity and a 3.6 percent drop in hunger rates.
YOU CAN HELP | Join us November 2 and help Take a Bite Out of Hunger!