Eugene fire chief says discarded cigarette may have sparked fire

EUGENE, Ore. - A discarded cigarette likely sparked a grass fire in the northwest Eugene area off Highway 99, according to firefighters.

It broke out just after 4 p.m. near the intersection of Maxwell and Prairie Roads.

Officials say the fire broke out near B and R Auto Wreckers and it closed a section of Maxwell Road for at least 30 minutes.

Eugene fire units have the blaze under control. Battalion fire chief Mark Grover said it was the second grass fire in the same area Monday that crews responded to.

It was about one acre in size.

Maxwell Road is again open to normal traffic.