City narrows South Willamette Street reconstruction options to 3
EUGENE, Ore. - City planners narrowed to three the number of options for South Willamette Street reconstruction.
The move comes after public events attended by more than 300 people, plus feedback from businesses, property owners and the general public.
The next public meeting on South Willamette is set for June. You can join the project email list to receive details on the next public meeting by sending an email to Chris Henry at Chris.C.Henry@ci.eugene.or.us or call (541) 682-8472.
The options are:
- Alternative #1 (4-Lane)
- Alternative #3 (3-Lane with Bike Lanes)
- Alternative #5 (3-Lane with Wide Sidewalks)
The three alternatives provide the community and decision makers a range of options for the South Willamette Street Improvement Plan, according to planners.
The decision is based on both technical review and public input, including conversations with the public, forum results, and public comments via phone and email.
According to planners:
- Alternative #1 is proposed because it responds to community support to maintain the existing number of travel lanes.
- Alternative #3 is proposed because it incorporates the elements of a balanced, complete street design.
- Alternative #5 is included because it responds to community input to improve the street for pedestrians.
Each of the alternatives includes bicycle routes on parallel streets to be developed as separate projects identified in the Eugene Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan.